My Pop Culture 2015
Inspired by @mandi 💛
- •TV Series (streaming): Making a MurdererOK, so I JUST watched this, but it's insane and I can't force enough people to watch it. Please. If you miss season one of Serial, go watch this on Netflix right now. Don't even finish reading this list.
- •TV Series (watched weekly): You're the WorstI was the "one-woman hype train" for season one of this show, and the second season was even stronger. Just watch this, please, for goodness sakes!
- •TV Series (that changed my life): CasualIt feels weird to put this on here, but I was SUCH a fan of season one, before I even started working on it. I went to several events to hear the writers speak, and was so excited to see a show on "tv" that aligned so well with the tone and structure that I was drawn to. In the last two months, as their writers' assistant on season two, I've learned more about writing, storytelling, and structure than I did in four years as a writing major in college. I'm so lucky to have this opportunity.
- •TV Series (binged years later): Gilmore GirlsI'd never seen this before, though my roommate had been telling me for years how much I'd love it. She was right. I watched the whole series at the desk of my old job while so so so bored.
- •Book: Modern RomanceI was almost a sociology minor in college, and had read a lot of the studies they cited in this book. First half was more interesting to me than the second, but I feel like anyone who is dating in this day and age needs to read it. It rang so true of my own online dating experiences, and I highly recommend it.
- •Podcast: Guys We Fucked: The Anti-Slut Shaming PodcastBeen listening to these girls for almost two years. Love them. I listen every Friday.
- •Album: Every Open Eye by CHVRCHESThere was a bit of reclaiming of the band here, since they were my ex's favorite but the new album was too good to let his memory keep me away from it.
- •Musical: Hamilton OR Crazy Ex-GirlfriendHamilton cast recording on repeat forever, duh. And I know Crazy Ex is a TV show but it's so, so good. Wonderfully ambitious with great pay-off.
- •Music streaming service: SpotifyThe Discovery Weekly playlists were 💯
- •App: @listThere is no other right answer. I have so loved being part of this community, and it was SUCH an important part of my year. Thank you @fisackerly for inviting me to be a beta baby 💛