Things I Just Ate at Ink
My roommate's parents are in town and took us to Michael Voltaggio's restaurant, ink. And then we ate all the things. (Food review from a non-foodie)
- •hamachi, shiitake escabèche, hazelnuts, kelpI have no idea what this was. I think I ate some nuts.
- •little gems, burrata, anchovy cracker, lemon dressingThis was a salad (who knew?) and it was delightful. The anchovy cracker on top was very cool and apparently I like anchovy now.
- •fish sticks, cuttlefish, banana tartar sauceThis was not my favorite but also not bad. Might have been the only thing we didn't finish.
- •potato polenta, foie gras, fermented cabbage, duck brothMy roommate ate the entire small plate. She made her "I'm in heaven while eating" face so I'm guessing it was pretty good.
- •corn, housemade ranch “foritos,” nori, green onionDon't like Doritos so I didn't think I'd like this, but the corn dip was INSANE.
- •salt and charcoal potato, housemade sour cream, black vinegarThese were very good potatoes but the best part was that they brought out the vinegar in a bottle with an eye dropper. My roommate's dad got a real kick out of that.
- •egg yolk gnocchi, mushroom brown butter, hen of the woodsHow do they put the egg yolk inside the gnocchi?? My brain cannot comprehend. This was amazing. The gnocchi basically explodes in your mouth and is delightful. I especially liked the mushrooms.
- •octopus, ink. shells, young fennel, pimentomThis was my favorite. The octopus was grilled deliciousness and the shells were so so so good and I can't even be articulate about how much I loved this.
- •wild alaskan halibut, spring vegetables, green garlic, pine nutsGood halibut. Good sauce. This came out last and I was so full and then my fork hit the plate wrong and made a terrible noise. Also pine nuts are a fun treat.
- •apple, caramel, shortbread, burnt wood semifreddoYou basically hit this ice cream ball thing with a spoon and it falls apart and this included all things I love and I was so incredibly full but it didn't matter. I powered through (kept eating)