Trying to Explain Why Catcalling Sucks to White, Cis, Hetero Men on My Facebook Feed
A guy leaned out of his car to tell me to smile (To the Man Who Just Leaned Out His Car Window to Tell Me to Smile) and I posted a status on Facebook about it. Three separate white, cis, hetero boys made offensive jokes. This was my response.
- •While I understand that you're making jokes, I don't think you fully grasp how catcalling can make people feel.
- •For me, it sends the message that I don't deserve to have ownership or agency over my own body.
- •That it merely exists for some stranger to say and do what he wants because he feels entitled to do so.
- •It can be very hurtful when someone makes light of a situation in which you felt unsafe.
- •I hope this helps you understand how important it is to be an ally, not part of the problem.