Yeah, I Just Turned 36: Birthday Memories by the Year
A look back at some memorable (+ not so memorable) birthdays from yesteryears.
- •1985/5 years oldHeld in our newly built screened-in porch. I had a Rainbow Brite cake. My Mom and her friends painted our faces. (See photo - above: me / below: my sister)
- •1990/10 years oldI had a slumber party — I got to invite 5 friends. One friend got me a pack of sparklers + a Kirk Cameron poster (she was a big fan). There was drama in the middle of the night where half the girls slept in one room and talked about the girls sleeping in the other room.
- •1996/16 years oldMy 23 year old friend + neighbor took me to get my license. I drove my Mom's red Chrysler Lebaron convertible for my driving test. That night my sister (14) and I went to the mall + cruised the streets of my hometown (Peoria, IL) while listening to DMB's 'Crash' album.
- •2001/21 years oldI was interning at WFAA in Dallas on their morning show 'Good Morning Texas'. After work, I went outlet mall shopping + drank giant frozen strawberry margaritas w/ my aunt. Two days later, a guy (no hablo ingles) ran a red light and slammed into my car (no hay margaritas implicados). I had a rental (a grey Saturn) for the rest of the summer.
- •2006/26 years oldI was packing up my apartment in Chicago — getting ready for the next week's cross country move to Newport Beach. That night I went out in Wrigleyville and had a big last hurrah. (Note: During the lead-up to my move, the Real Housewives of OC premiered. I will forever attribute this timing/connection to my love for everything housewives + Bravo.)
- •2010/30 years oldMy first birthday after my move to Australia. I (reluctantly) said goodbye to the twenties + having a summer birthday (damn Southern Hemisphere living). Took a chilly trip to the Barossa Valley for a fun day of wine drinking + an evening at an old hotel w/ my boyfriend (now husband) and friends. The heat went out in our hotel and I slept in my coat.
- •2015/35 years oldMy husband (whose bday is a few days before) and I planned a dinner for 12 friends + then hit the bars of Adelaide after. At 1am my husband fell asleep while sitting at the bar. I continued on without him — playing slots at the casino then wrapped the night with McDonald's in bed at 3am.
- •2016/36 years oldI spent the first half the day flying from LAX to ADL + the second half of the day napping. We had a fire in the fireplace, ordered pizza, and watched The Americans. I was asleep by 9pm. Wild times at 36.