HOW LOSING THAT EXTRA 5 LBS HELPED ME BELIEVE IN GOD AGAIN
I’ve struggled with my belief in God for as long as I can remember. I always thought God was a construct of humanity’s collective imagination. But then something happened that completely restored my faith. I lost those last stubborn five pounds.
- •I finally felt like someone was looking after me.When my sister bounced back from a terminal diagnosis of cancer last year, I thought, “Huh, supes weird.” God’s help never really crossed my mind. Then I lost those last five pounds. When I saw the readout on my scale, I swear I got goosebumps. That was the moment I realized I had a guardian angel.
- •It assured me that everything happens for a reason.The world is full of evil. Bad things happen to good people for no reason. Or so I thought. I accidentally bought a dress in a Size 4 a couple months ago. I couldn’t fit into it at the time, but now? It’s like it was predestined that I forgot to return it. See? Everything happens for a reason, even hangers being in the wrong section at Kohl’s.
- •It made me aware of a force bigger than myself.And I mean much bigger than me. Because I am now five pounds smaller than I was before. Isn’t it incredible how God works?
- •It opened my mind to the possibility of an afterlife.I never thought much of the Great Beyond. It just seemed a little too good to be true. But you know what also seemed too good to be true? Saying adios to those last stubborn five pounds. Now, I truly believe that anything is possible. A heaven where you get to see all your loved ones again? If I can lose my love handles, I can certainly buy into the idea of eternal life!
- •I’m so, so grateful for this life-altering, mind-blowing, jeans-fitting experience. I feel blessed and comforted by the idea that God exists and that He is looking out for me. If I lose another three pounds by Thanksgiving, I might even get on board with the idea of Hell. Glory be!