Top 5 Corners in My America
Sure, most of them are food related, but if you've got to "meet me at the corner of..." then these are the best ones to have.
- 1.6th Ave. & 11th St., New York CityRay's Pizza (the original "Original Ray's" according to Santa in ELF) might be gone, but that will always be the corner I was standing on when Academy Award winner Julianne Moore stopped to hail a cab and checked me out from top to bottom. Like she was hungry and I was a free slice! Objectification at its finest.
- 2.Shawmut Ave. & Union Park St., BostonIt's not just that the South End is so hot right now, but South End Buttery has great coffee, delicious scones, acceptable hipsters and a dog parked out front at all times.
- 3.W. Burnside & NW 10th Ave., PortlandHaving one of the greatest book stores on earth fixed there might put this corner on a list all its own, but to be standing there on Halloween and to suddenly be overrun by dozens of people dressed as zombies, slow walking and muttering "Brains!" puts it in a class by itself.
- 4.Rose Ave. & Main St., VeniceBallerina Clown + CVS = funky-ass trip for floss.
- 5.W. Wabansia Ave. & Honore, ChicagoClub Lucky in Bucktown always makes me feel like that's the spot where a mobster in a fedora on the running board of an old Ford is gonna gun me down.
- 6.BONUS: Staniford St. & William Cardinal O'Connell Way, BostonBecause that's the spot where she called it quits, said she'd always love me, then promptly walked up to, and tried three times, to unlock the wrong car.