THINGS I SAW IN THE OCEAN TODAY
My in-laws live in Hawaii and write books about snorkeling. Today they took me in the sea where I snorkeled for the first time. My brain nearly exploded from amazement. I had to learn how to breathe and to relax.
- •Bluespine Unicornfish"The spines are as sharp as scalpels. If you touch it, it will slice your hand up."
- •Slate pencil sea urchinSlick, red, spiky, like a piece of art 3D printed from a kindergartener's drawing.
- •Green sea turtle.My in-laws have a huge wooden turtle on their kitchen counter. The first thing I saw underwater was the real life version of it!
- •Sea UrchinMy father in law tried to explain, in underwater pantomime, that if I let it stay in my hand it would suck on and I would have to peel it off.
- •Yellow TangMassive schools of bright yellow fish flitting in spangled light.
- •Achilles TangThe picture is of my in-laws in their wetsuits. They look like they're 25.
- •Yellowtail CorisCovered, I mean completely covered, in fluorescent blue dots.
- •A rainbow.It rained for like thirty seconds and a huge rainbow came out across the sky.