Highlights from PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction ceremony
- •The three judges read 493 entries to choose this year's winner and four finalists.Any work of fiction by an American published in 2015 was eligible.
- •NPR's Neda Ulaby served as the MC for the ceremony.Ms. Ulaby took a nasty fall as she walked on stage, but got right back up and joked, "On radio, you never would have known about that!"
- •Finalist Julie Iromuanya read from her novel "Mr. and Mrs. Doctor"
- •Finalist Luis Alberto Urrea recited from memory a story in his collection "The Water Museum" (Little, Brown)He didn't really "recite" it -- he performed it! Was a huge hit with the audience. Review here: http://wapo.st/1qm4WQF
- •Finalist Elizabeth Tallent read about a tree-sitter in her collection "Mendocino Fire"
- •Finalist Viet Thanh Nguyen read from his Pulitzer Prize-winning debut novel, "The Sympathizer" (Grove/Atlantic)He noted that 1 percent of his readers abandon "The Sympathizer" when they reach the sex-with-squid scene. Review here: http://wapo.st/1TcdEP2
- •James Hannaham won $15,000 for "Delicious Foods" (Little, Brown)"Was there some kind of clerical error?!" asked the incredibly gracious Mr. Hannaham. Review here: http://wapo.st/1LcUbdx