Jeff Kinney’s top 5 kids books for summer
- •"The Lightning Thief," by Rick Riordan (Miramax/Hyperion)In this first book of the Percy Jackson mythological fantasy series, we meet our 12-year-old hero, who has taken on a task no less than saving the world from a war between Zeus, Poseidon and Hades.
- •"The Last Kids on Earth," by Max Brallier (Viking)Thirteen-year-old Jack Sullivan and his buddies plan for survival — and revenge — after a monster attack destroys their town.
- •"Ramona the Pest," by Beverly Cleary (HarperCollins)The classic tale of Ramona Quimby and her sister, Beezus, and their friends on Klickitat Street.
- •"Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing," by Judy Blume (Puffin)The first adventure of Peter Hatcher and his little brother (the lovable troublemaker known as Fudge) and their neighbor Sheila Tubman.
- •"The Arrival," by Shaun Tan (Arthur A. Levine)There are no words in this affecting graphic novel about a man’s journey to find a new home for his family in an imagined foreign land.