10 REASONS NOT TO PILE HOMEWORK ON YOUR YOUNG CHILDREN
Think about whether it's worth it before you just follow the crowd.
- •It will make them tired.
- •It will stress them out.
- •It will stress you out.
- •It will reduce the amount of time they spend getting exercise.
- •It will reduce the amount of time they spend learning other things and in other ways.
- •It will reduce the amount of time they spend developing social skills.
- •It will reduce the amount of time they engage in imaginative, creative, and unstructured play.
- •It will teach them to associate school and learning with negative feelings.
- •It will burn them out by the time they reach high school when they really do need to do a lot of homework to get good grades to get into college.
- •With no evidence of more than marginal benefits (does being able to spell or add a little better at an early age really make any difference a few years later?), it will rob them of a joyful childhood, potentially leading to lifelong burdens and obstacles to success and fulfillment due to depression, anxiety, and/or anger and resentment.