A few thoughts on politics and the election
If I could speak to them directly here's what I'd say:
- •President Obama - thanks!You've been a steady hand over the last eight years and the adult in the room over the last several months. You've done well and history will judge you kindly!
- •President-elect Trump - congratulations!I didn't support your candidacy yet you still managed to win ;) I'm sincerely hoping you can make a positive difference for people who are struggling. Be aware that the campaign rhetoric scared the you-know-what out of good people who feel they are about to have their rights and happiness taken away. I'm rooting for you to have a successful presidency that benefits all Americans!
- •Secretary Clinton - congratulations!You are one hell of a person and I was proud to support you...along with several million of my fellow Americans. I'm sorry you lost but not all battles can be won. You inspired millions and have left an indelible mark on history. The world is a better place because of the efforts you have made. Mourn and then move on. Your work is not yet done!
- •Republicans - its time to lead!I never ever thought you'd win the House, Senate and White House.! Now that you control the reins of power show us what you can do. You've been the party of "no" for so long that I'm hoping you can make some positive changes. You have nobody to blame anymore...but don't complain when the Dems filibuster. I hope you are successful on a fiscal front and stay away from the social issues. Folks in small town America are the primary reason you were elected and many of them are scared. Help them!
- •Democrats - back to basics!We (I) forgot the rural folks You've been great at giving the disenfranchised a voice but in doing so missed a whole new group that became disillusioned. Economic change has happened so fast in the global digital revolution that 50+ years of small-town way of life was left in the dust. People are afraid that the towns that they love will become the ghost towns of the future with globalization and technology. Involve them in the problem solving. You'll be back in power soon!
- •My fellow Americans - OMG!That was one hell of an election cycle and I'm glad it's over. I'm an optimist so I believe that it's all going to work out. Regardless of who you voted for, I'm convinced that 99% of you are wonderful, amazing, hard-working, caring, compassionate folks who only want the best for their family, friends and this country. Remember - we have the power to change things again if they aren't going the way we want them to. Despite its warts and bumps, isn't democracy an amazing thing?!