SOPHIE'S TV CHOICE: REPLACEMENTS WHO MIGHT BE CHOSEN OVER THEIR PREDECESSORS
Same show. Different character (e.g., not Darren Stevens). Arguably equal if not superior (e.g., not Cindy Snow). Who would you choose? Who did I forget?
- •Diane or RebeccaI would call it the ultimate TV ultimatum.
- •Ernie Pantusso ("Coach") or Woody BoydYup. Cheers pulled off replacements of principal characters twice--and expertly each time. Because it's boss. Eat it Gary's Old Town Tavern!
- •Angel or SpikeYes,Spike was introduced as a "big bad" while Angel was still on the show. But when he returns as a regular, his basic function is the same: Buffy's doomed love interest.
- •Cordelia or AnyaAnother controversial labeling of original and replacement. Again, same basic function: outsider in the group; comically strident dissenter; Xander's love interest.
- •Big or AidanIt probably says something about me that I think "Skipper or Steve" would be a far more compelling discussion...
- •Dennis Duffy vs. Floyd DeBarber vs. Dr. Drew Baird vs. Wesley Snipes vs. Carol Burnett vs. Criss ChrossAn embarrassment of recurring riches.
- •Jill or KrisBefore you say no one can touch Farrah, note that ratings went up in season two and how different Cheryl Ladd's appeal is.
- •Valerie or Aunt SandyREMEMBER WHEN VALERIE DIED?!? It was probably the most traumatic moment of kindergarten.
- •Prue or PaigeI don't think there's much of a debate to be had here but others do. At least it's more ambiguous than Brenda or Valerie...
- •Detective John Kelly or Detective Bobby SimoneAnd I'm not just asking for a tuchus comparison. In which case it would be Det. John Clark. Duh.
- •Wally Porter or Dana PalladinoLove and War. Anybody? Anybody?
- •Mrs. Garrett vs Beverly Ann StickleI mean clearly there's no competition. But I feel like it needs to be on this list. Mostly because I love the Facts of Life.Suggested by @eatthelove
- •Pam or KarenSuggested by @LevNovak