My Top Ten Independent Community End Tags
At the request of @willmorris I have compiled another Community list. The end tags were one of the best parts of the show. While there are many great end tags, I have decided to compile a list of my favourites. For this list, I've only included end tags that were not based on the episode they were tagged onto.
- •Spanish Rap S1E2The first end tag on the show. This set the tone for the rest of the end tags for the season, which lead to many brilliant end tags with variances on the Spanish Rap. These end tags are some of the best, the mashup with Africa by Toto (season 2 episode 1) is probably my favourite for musical reasons, but full credit has to be given to the original rap for spawning the others. It's a fun, creative way of showing the use of basic Spanish in a rap that makes little sense.
- •Impersonations S1E4In this end tag, Troy and Abed sit on the other side of a window impersonating the people on the other side based on their appearance until Jeff points out that they can all hear them. The two then immediately pretend they were sleeping the entire time. This shows the childish immaturity of Troy and Abed through their impersonations as well as their belief that people would fall for their sleep ruse. The moment when everyone turns and looks at them is priceless.
- •Christmas Troy S1E12This is a great example of the end tags trope of Jeff walking in on Troy and Abed doing something stupid, proclaims it is stupid with a "too cool for this" attitude followed by a cut to him participating. This is made all the funnier by the ridiculousness of decorating Troy as a tree and the "Oh Christmas Troy" song parody they sing while doing it.
- •Troy and Abed as Bert and Ernie S1E17A fantastic example once more of the immaturity of the two, as well as a homage to the Sesame street's Burt and Ernie. What is brilliant about this is not only its spot on impersonation of the famous bickering duo but the fact that the act is immediately dropped when Troy realises he was supposed to be doing something more adult and somber which he had forgotten about (his cousin's funeral)
- •Troy and Abed in the Morning S1E20The first of many Troy and Abed in the mornings. Much like the Spanish rap, it would become a staple of the community end tags. In this, Troy and Abed pretend to have a morning chat show with Jeff, who points out there are no cameras and complains about being woken up at 6am. Troy and Abed meanwhile never break the act. What amuses me the most about this is that it is not just Troy and Abed who stay in character, but also Leonard and other students are behind them holding signs as if it's real.
- •Two Tries to Leave a Voicemail S1E23This one is one of my favourites because I relate to it so well. Troy makes several attempts to send a voicemail to Abed but isn't satisfied with his tone in any of them. Jeff then storms in and records a short, angry one for Troy, only to realise that he is also unhappy with his tone Jeff ultimately suggests they send a text instead.
- •Troy and Abed Play Operation on Pierce S3E2Once again, the immaturity of Troy and Abed knows no bounds as the two, dressed in scrubs, begin removing Pierce's accessories until he wakes up and scares them off. Pierce then alludes to Operation the board game by eating some spare ribs and saying he's glad they weren't taken.
- •Troy and Abed in the Morning (Nights) S3E19Definitely my favourite version of Troy and Abed in the Morning, in this end tag their show takes place at 3am. The two call other members of the group, acting as if they have called into the show. Finally, Annie calls, stating she's been a long-time listener and first-time caller before banging the wall and telling them to go to bed.
- •Duncan Tries to Order More Staples S5E6Duncan calls the Greendale Supplies to get more staplers, but just before he presses three to get staplers as prompted by the automated voice, he is given more mysterious options, which he chooses out of curiosity. He is told to type in a code, which he randomly does. He is now connected to a military man of some sort and asked for clearance level. He responds with "top" and accidentally initiates some kind of air strike, which he then aborts. This is just brilliantly ridiculous.
- •Community the Board Game Commercial S6E13The last ever end tag, this is a commercial for a Community board game. It makes fun of the show by commenting on its different tones, the difficult balance it treads between funny and deep, its struggles to stay on the air, the changing romantic relationships of the characters, etc. The 'ad' shows a family playing the game who slowly become aware that they are in a commercial. It's a perfect way of ending the very self-aware series and finishes with a rant of self-deprecation.