Favorite Lines From Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
A beautiful book about what it means to feel things and connect to the world. I read this book for the first time when I was 16 years old and loved it so much I flagged off all my favorite moments and lines.
- •Photographic evidence of the flagged bookThere's a lot of favorite moments and lines.
- •"Just because you're an atheist, that doesn't mean you wouldn't love for things to have reasons for why they are."
- •"'Why do beautiful songs make you sad?' 'Because they aren't true.' 'Never?' 'Nothing is beautiful and true.'"
- •"I hope you never love anything as much as I love you."
- •"Humans are the only animal that blushes, laughs, has religion, wages war, and kisses with lips. So in a way, the more you kiss with lips, the more human you are."
- •"Literature was the only religion her father practiced, when a book fell on the floor he kissed it, when he was done with a book he tried to give it away to someone who would love it, and if he couldn't find a worthy recipient he buried it."
- •"She wants to know if I love her, that's all anyone wants from anyone else, not love itself but the knowledge that love is there, like new batteries in the flashlight in the emergency kit in the hall closet."
- •"If that sounds simple, it's simple like a mountain is simple."
- •"I was impressed by how much life Mr. Black had lived, and how much he wanted to have his life around him."
- •"It was the first time I had ever cried in front of him. It felt like making love."
- •"'Do you think one can feel too much? Or just feel in the wrong ways?' ' My insides don't match up with my outsides.' 'Do anyone's insides and outsides match up?' 'I don't know. I'm only me.' 'Maybe that's what a person's personality is: the difference between the inside and outside.'"
- •"Dear Anna, We will live in a home with no walls, so that everywhere we go will be our home."
- •"Gravity isn't only what makes us fall, it's what makes our muscles strong."
- •"I wanted to touch him, to tell him that even if everyone left everyone, I would never leave him."
- •"I also wanted to make the story as long as I could, because k was afraid of its end."
- •"In my dream, people apologized for things that were about to happen, and lit candles by inhaling."
- •"I invented a book that listed every word in every language. It wouldn't be a very useful book, but you could hold it and know that everything you could possibly say was in your hands."