A list for my children
60 years of life distilled into one list
- •If it doesn't work one way, turn it around.When I first coined this, it referred to the pragmatic need to make one object fit into another. But I found it applies to much more.
- •Do nothing, go nowhereI heard this in a dream I had. Don't fear the unknown or discomfort, they are but minor hurdles to enlightenment.
- •Measure twice, cut once.In all things, be mindful of what you are doing and its consequences.
- •Read the instructions.Sure, it SHOULD be self-evident but it's often not.
- •Speaking of which, avoid using the word "should."Horrible imposition on free will..."you should do this..." Do what you think is right, not what others think you should.
- •Everything is derivativeOriginal, truly creative moments are the rarest of things.
- •Most people are stupidMany folks are offended when I say this. It's proof positive I'm right.
- •You can only make them worseMy guiding principle in child rearing.
- •If things are not going according to plan, it's time to change the plan
- •Anything worth having is hiding in plain sight
- •The perfect is the enemy of the good.