Every 2015-2016 New Broadway Musical Sounded Like A Terrible Idea At One Point...
We are at the end of another wonderful season of new musicals on Broadway. It has been one of the most eclectic mixes I've ever seen. But from the wrong point of view, these shows could be seen differently. (See previous lists about Rodgers & Hammerstein as well as Sondheim musicals)
- •Amazing GraceA story that involves a spiritual journey performed in the heathen Capitol of the world.
- •HamiltonA story about the founder of the US Treasury (💤💤) using rap and hip hop music, in spite of the primary demographic of Broadway being middle aged white women.
- •On Your Feet!A musical where one of the main plot points depicts a bus accident that almost killed Gloria Estefan.
- •AllegianceA musical about Japanese internment camps. A five, six, seven, eight!
- •School of RockRemember that movie that everyone loved because Jack Black was charming in it? Yeah, let's do that, but without Jack Black!
- •Disaster!Everyone loves disaster movies from the 70s right? Let's capitalize on that CRAZE and make a spoof about them all using jukebox tunes from the disco era! Everyone will know exactly what we are spoofing, right?
- •Bright StarIt's a musical about...oh fuck...there's a major twist in the beginning so no one can actually talk about what this musical is about...but Steve Martin wrote it! People like him! Is he IN it? No...but he WROTE it! Oh...you're still asking if he's in it...uh...
- •American PsychoWho doesn't love a good jaunty tune about a psychopath murderer who chops up women? #feminism
- •WaitressA sad woman puts her feelings into baked goods. No this is not "Cathy the Musical"
- •Tuck EverlastingA musical about a 102 year-old man who hits on a 12 year old girl. But he LOOKS 17 so it's FINE!
- •Shuffle AlongRemember that 1930s musical "Shuffle Along" that no one has ever heard of except for the song "I'm Just Wild About Harry"? Yeah let's do a musical that spends three hours telling you ABOUT that musical from a backstage point of view!