EVERY RODGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN MUSICAL SOUNDED LIKE A TERRIBLE IDEA AT ONE POINT...
- •It's 1943. Someone tells you there is going to be a musical that tells a story of farmers and ranchers that stops for 20 minutes so a completely different cast will come on stage and perform a ballet to continue telling the storyOklahoma (1943)
- •A couple meet on a merry-go-round and fall in love later that same night. After being married for a few months she finds out, SURPRISE, he's abusive. But it's ok. He kills himself at the end of Act 1.Carousel (1945)
- •A film musical where the most endearing character is a live pig.State Fair (1945)
- •A musical about the war where soldiers still have time to dress in coconut bras and lament their celibacy in a jaunty number. Also featured is a beautiful love story between a French opera singer and a racist woman from Arkansas. More forgettable, a side plot of a white man falling in love with a Polynesian girl before he dies in battle.South Pacific (1949)
- •British imperialist woman moves to Thailand where she tries to destroy a centuries long culture with her western ways. The climax involves a polka which is neither British nor Thai/Siamese.The King and I (1951)
- •A live TV broadcast about an indentured servant girl who casts a spell in order to trick a prince into marrying her.Cinderella (1957)
- •Two white Jews write a story about a Chinese girl's experience in America.Flower Drum Song (1958)
- •A singing nun says "Fuck celibacy" and marries the man she was nannying for. She now not only has to take care of seven children, but she has to hike a mountain so her new family doesn't get murdered by the Nazis.The Sound of Music (1959)
- •Plus Allegro (1947), Me and Juliet (1953) and Pipe Dream (1955) which actually were just bad ideas...Not even the masters of musical theater can have a perfect track record.