WHAT I SAW INSIDE THE BRANCH DAVIDIAN COMPOUND IN WACO, TX
In 1993, David Koresh and 82 Branch Davidians died during the raid on their compound in Waco. Then it was rebuilt. I was nearby years ago with some people and we decided to find it. When we did, we were able to go right in. Here's what I saw.
- •It was not easy to find, but it was well-marked.
- •Just inside the fence there's some kind of admin building and a big stone sign.
- •Behind the sign is a memorial, a brick for each of the people that died.
- •Including the unborn.
- •Then there's nothing along the path for a bit, until you're near the church. We drove in, and although it looked empty, we always felt like we were being watched.
- •Close to the church there's a stone with a quote from Revelations,
- •a memorial for the four ATF officers who died during the raid,
- •and a memorial for the victims of the Oklahoma City bombing, which happened the exact same day as the Waco siege, two years later.
- •We drove all the way up to the church.
- •There's a welcome,
- •and a Gadsden flag.
- •Past the church, we pulled around a turn and saw a line of double wides. Someone was standing in one of the windows looking at us, so we immediately turned around and drove back out.
- •Needless to say, the entire experience was creepy as shit.