🌒 MOON MADNESS 🌒
- •The leading theory for how the Moon was created is this: an object about the size of Mars smashed into Earth early in our planet’s history, creating a bunch of debris that circled our planet.The debris came from both the Earth and the object, and over time the smaller bits stuck together and formed the Moon that we see today. This story was arrived at once the Apollo astronauts brought back a few hundred pounds of rock from their missions. Source: Universe Today
- •The Moon is the Earth’s only natural satellite
- •It was formed 4.6 billion years agoThat's about 30–50 million years after the formation of the solar system
- •The Soviet Lunar program sent the first unmanned mission to the Moon was in 1959.
- •Apollo 11 was the first manned landing in 1969
- •The dark side of the moon? Actually...Earth only sees one side of the moon, the "dark side" actually gets just as much sunlight as the "light side". We just don't see it from earth.
- •The Moon is drifting away from the Earth!This was discovered after the Apollo astronauts left a laser reflector on the surface that scientists could bounce beams from. The drift is extremely slow (about 4 centimeters/1.6 inches a year)