Some facts about the 8th planet from the sun.
- •Neptune, named after the Roman god of the sea, has 14 moonsTriton is one of these moons. It spews nitrogen ice and dust particles out from below the surface and is probably the coldest world in the solar system.
- •And 5 ringsThese rings are made up of ice particles that are mixed with dust grains and possibly coated with a carbon-based substance.
- •Neptune is not visible to the naked eye and was first observed in 1846.Mathematical predictions were used to determine its location.
- •In 1989 the Voyager 2 spacecraft flew by the planet and we were able to get the first close up images of Neptune.A large storm on Neptune was tracked by the Voyager 2 that is large enough to hold the Earth. This spot is comparable in size and has a similar southern latitude to the "Great Red Spot" on Jupiter.
- •In 1994 the Hubble Telescope showed us that the dark spot observed by the Voyager 2 was no longer there.But another dark spot was seen in the northern hemisphere of the planet.
- •The winds on Neptune can get up to 1500 miles per hour and are the fastest winds in the solar system.