HOW TO: ACNE EDITION
The first thing you have to know in advance is that perfect skin is not realistic. Most of us get zits. But here is how to control them.
- •Dermatologists are your best friend.I resisted going to the doctor for the better part of the past year and I'm not sure why. I spent hundreds on skin care products that either did nothing or made it worse. When I finally went, my doctor looked at my skin, told me she was going to help me and then wrote me a prescription that's actually working. It's that easy! And in the end my problem was mostly a bacterial infection-so no product in the world could have done the job.
- •Get a cleanser that works for YOU.I kept using a cleanser from Lush that broke me out because it smelled good and I thought if it was made from natural ingredients it couldn't possibly be the problem. Stopped using it for a day and noticed a difference. You need to know what your skin needs! Are you dry? Oily? Do you have sensitive skin? And on that note..
- •Most people have combination skin.This is super important. I kept buying products to help with dry skin because that was my main concern. But I have dry and SENSITIVE skin. So the heavy creams actually made things worse. I now get products that work as a team to help me out.
- •Take your makeup off every night!This kind of ties in with the previous two but it's important enough to be on its own. My dermatologist once told me that every night you sleep with makeup on takes 7 days off of your "skin life". It ages you, clogs your pores and really just does no good. Glossier's Milky Jelly Cleanser is 💣🔑. You don't even need a washcloth, just massage it on with your fingers and rinse with warm water. It dissolves makeup completely and leaves you soft and glowy.
- •Here is a link that gets you 20% off of it, if you want to try for yourself. I'll recommend it until my last dying breath, it's that freakin perfect.
- •Wash your makeup brushes!!!!!!!!!!! SO IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't wash your brushes you are literally smearing bacteria all over your pores every day. And if that's not enough for you, if you wash your brushes they last longer. Saves you money!!
- •Look at your diet / drink waterIf you don't already know that water is your actual best friend, let me be the first to tell you. Soda should be a treat, not a substitute for water. As for your diet, look, you are what you eat. Going vegetarian helped me out a lot but I know that's not for everyone. At the very least, cut out the junk food as much as possible. You'll feel better and your skin will thank you for it. Sugars+fats clog you up!
- •Don't pick at your zits!Seriously. I don't care how big it is. Put on some concealer and suck it up. It's embarrassing but it WILL go down. If you pick, it'll scar and you'll have that for AT LEAST six months.
- •And lastly, be gentle with yourself.I am 24 years old and my acne still makes me cry sometimes. I have a long way to go but once I decided to really commit to getting clear skin, it HAS gotten better.
- •As always, I am 100% here if you have any questions. I'm not an expert but I can do my best to help you out. I only ever want all of you to feel like your most beautiful selves!