MY FAVORITE ALBUMS OF ALL TIME
first off, thanks Nathan for giving me a list that generated the biggest heart tug of war in my life. this list was so hard!
- 1.The Listening by LightsLights is my favorite artist/human and I hope someday she is so beloved to all that a golden statue is made of her, or a fountain, or both. This was her first album, which I found when I was 17. I think as an artist, Lights has grown so much in her two albums since then. But every time I'm bummed out, I play this album and it takes me back. If music could be made in outer-space, this is what it would sound like.
- 2.Vessel by twenty one pilotsI've been listening to this band since they were playing in Church basements near my house. My hometown and I watched them grow into what they are today and I don't know if my heart is big enough completely to contain the love that I have for them. They had albums before this, but this was the album the whole world got to hear first. It got me through some stuff and for that, I owe them everything.
- 3.Illuminate by LydiaI have been listening to this album for almost a decade and never had the right words to describe it. My friend, who is a musician, summed it up perfectly the first time I showed it to him. "there are some albums out there that make you want to just quit music because you know you'll never come close to creating something so special."
- 4.1 by The BeatlesI know it's kind of a cop-out to pick a compilation album as a favorite, but when this album came out, my Dad would play it in the kitchen while we cleaned up and we'd dance to it. The best albums are the ones that have good memories attached to them.
- 5.Bon Iver by Bon IverA friend of mine once described Bon Iver as "some sad hipster with a guitar in the woods". I love him anyway. And I love this album more than his first. Songs like Wash and Holocene are so god damn beautiful that listening to them makes you feel like you're this super inflated version of yourself that can't be touched by anything.
- 6.Common Courtesy by A Day To RememberThis album was written and produced by the band independently after their record told them they could only make another album if they cut out two members. Any other band would have sold out. ADTR said fuck that and released what I think is their best yet.
- 7.Who Would Ever Want Something So Broken by Beach SlangMy whole heart in an EP.
- 8.The Definition by Jon BellionSometimes you hear an album and it's like "holy shit! they're saying the things!" And that's Jon Bellion.
- 9.You're Gonna Miss It All by Modern BaseballAn album so honest that it completely redeemed me during a hard time. Your Graduation is a freakin anthem.
- 10.Miike Snow by Miike SnowThis album feels like the summer before my ex went to college, when we spent every single day together. It's the only time I've ever been in love. Sans Soleil (from this album) is what that sounds like for me.