Things I Learned On My First Cruise
I took a two-night cruise to the Bahamas, with one day in Freeport, to see if cruises might be something I'd like, and also if a vacation in the Bahamas might be something I'd enjoy b
- •I have not developed some sort of adult-onset seasickness$15 worth of anti-seasickness stuff and I never even opened the bag. Excellent. I can definitely consider a longer cruise.
- •You don't have to spend a fortune to have a great timeThank you, Groupon. $149 for a two-night cruise for two was a fantastic deal, and I'll be looking for Groupons for my next cruise, too.
- •I don't need the fancy-pants dining optionWe went with the standard dining room option the first night and loved everything except one of our table-mates. (More on her later.) The rest of the time we grazed at the buffet, and that was fabulous, too. I don't regret not doing the expensive fine-dining thing.
- •People watching is still one of my favorite pastimesIt's fun to watch people having fun. It's fascinating to see them living their drama, too. Pretty much anywhere you park yourself on the ship is a good place to see it all.
- •The unlimited soda card is worth the $20I don't regret that one little bit. It saved us a fortune.
- •I don't need the 10 alcoholic drinks passI don't even need my half of it. Maybe in my 20s or 30s. Next time we'll just pay by the drink.
- •The free shows are worth seeingThere were performers from Cirque du Soleil! A magician and dancers and a comedian! Lots of fun.
- •The adult scavenger quest is so much funWatching people trying to come up with a thong on stage is hilarious. Leave the kids out, though. The ones who were dragged along by their parents were clearly uncomfortable.
- •It's way more satisfying to find reasons to be happy than reasons for offense or anger or miseryBitter Betty, the table-mate from the first dinner, was such a buzz kill. She wasn't satisfied with anything. The ship wasn't nice enough for her, she had to waste hours sitting through some sort of time-share lecture (I didn't), the food was only okay, and on and on. Ugh.
- •The city tour was such a good choiceI really enjoyed learning about Freeport. Fun history lesson, lots of interesting places to see, and a great introduction to the island.
- •I could spend days floating in the beautiful waterJust floating there. I can't remember ever feeling so relaxed.
- •The guy I'm dating is a fantastic travel companionHe's laid back, easy to please, confident, fun, funny, observant, smart, and interested in what's going on around him. This was our first trip together, and he was so much fun to be with.
- •I need more cruises in my life