10 things a Mom Should Definitely Do
After 20 years of being a working mom who is good friends with her husband and her adult children, I'd suggest you do these.
- 1.Marry your good friend. Once the gaga-ness of love fades into the rigor of daily mom life, your frienship will always be there.
- 2.Always work one (maybe 2) days per week. You'll need and enjoy it. Put your career in the back seat but not in the garbage can
- 3.Don't work full time as a mom, if you can. I did that, even though I worked in sales from a home office. Way too chaotic. Way too hard to enjoy your life, for your children and husband to enjoy your life, too. It's possible, but not enjoyable enough.
- 4.Be the CEO of your household. That means organize and DELEGATE. Your husband is part co-equal, part employee when it comes to the household. Your being in charge helps lighten his thinking load and elevates your purpose— and gets things done.
- 5.Have coffee in bed with your husband every morning. We get up at 6, have our coffee in bed and watch Joe Scarborough and my husband reads the paper. For a whole hour. It's become our enjoyable date time. I'd highly recommend it.
- 6.Create time to just "be" with your kids. I worked- so my kids and I alone went out to dinner together a couple times a week to "be" with eachother at the dinner table. We'd talk, play word games and ask questions.If I didn't work, I would've lounged in my pjs for a few hours with them doing nothing- but talking, playing word games andeating snacks
- 7.Choose your battles. Putting the cap on the toothpaste?.. Turning out the lights when you leave a room?.. I say blah blah blah. Dont even mention it. Go for the top 3 or 4 things, that's it. To everything else, pay no attention. Maybe just ask politely.
- 8.Ask politely for what you want rather than complain about what you don't like. Theres a huge difference. One brings you closer as a family, the other drives a wedge. If your children see you asking politely, they'll copy :)
- 9.Do things with your girlfriends often. Being CEO of your household lets you be in charge of your personal schedule.
- 10.Pay the bills. Being CEO of your home lets you be in charge of the finances. Power's in money.... or in controlling the money :)