RECIPE: PIMIENTO CHEESE
Good on celery, as a sandwich spread and amazing on burgers. @Alespecht12 this is my version of the classic.
- •The ingredients8 oz cream cheese, 16 oz sharp cheddar, 6 oz diced pimientos, 1/2 cup-ish mayo, 1/8 tsp onion powder, 1/8th tsp ground mustard, a pinch of cayenne pepper. Brands not important. The quality of the cheese _is_. This is not the place for processed cheese. Also, please don't use pre-shredded. The additives interfere with the texture of the spread.
- •Start with the cream cheeseUnwrap the cream cheese & drop it into your mixing bowl to soften up while you deal with the other ingredients.
- •Drain the pimientosYou can use a strainer over a bowl or just hold your fingers loosely across the mouth of the jar & upend it over the sink.
- •Grate the cheddar.A light hand when grating will result in fluffier strands which are easier to incorporate.
- •Add the cheddar and pimientos to the bowl.Yes, the one with the cream cheese. Hold back one big handful of cheese. No need to stir yet.
- •Add the spices.
- •But your smallest measuring spoon is 1/4 tsp?No problem. Fudge it. Use half of the 1/4 tsp. Dry mustard shown here.
- •The onion powderSame with the onion powder. Just use half of the 1/4 tsp.
- •And the cayenne.No measuring needed. I just sprinkle a wee bit over it. This is a "to taste" ingredient. Up to you.
- •Now add the mayo.Just drop it on top. It's good for the spices to connect with the wet ingredients (pimientos & mayo). The moisture will help to incorporate them.
- •Combine all the things.Use a sturdy, flat-ish spoon or spatula. Not so much stirring as cutting & folding ingredients together.
- •It'll take awhile.
- •When the cream cheese is quite friendly with the cheddar add that reserved handful.This will give you a bit of texture in an otherwise smooth spread. The photo is before adding that last handful.
- •Combine til it looks like this.It will be nearly smooth and quite malleable.
- •Yield 2 sandwich containers.Ish
- •You can halve this recipe.But you may have to endure the whining when it's gone. Oh, and you'll have to figure out what to do with half a block of cream cheese.