In My Opinion These Are The Greatest Sequels Ever
The movies I have chosen were either as good or better than the film that came before them. I'm excluding franchises like Kill Bill, Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter because they are part of a continuing story. Listed alphabetically.
- •AliensNothing has ever beaten Ridley Scott's 1979 Sci-fi horror flick Alien. The 1986 sequel Aliens came damn close. More of a Sci-fi thriller this time, a platoon of soldiers wage war against lots of aliens. The sequels that followed nose dived in quality.
- •The Dark KnightBatman Begins is an awesome movie. One of the best of 2005. The Dark Knight is even better and is one of the best of the decade. Heath Ledger's Joker is spellbinding. The Dark Knight Rises followed and was almost as good.
- •Before Sunset/Before MidnightBefore Sunset took everything a that worked in Before Sunrise and brought it into a more grounded reality. Revisiting these characters, years after their fateful first night together, is pure bliss and emotion. Before Midnight revisits them again later in life and is just as great.
- •The Bourne Supremacy/The Bourne UltimatumThe Bourne Supremacy took everything that was awesome in The Bourne Identity and transcended it by putting Bourne into a more complex plot. Paul Greengrass shoots this at a break neck rate. The Bourne Ultimatum almost reaches the same heights!
- •Dawn Of The DeadThe sequel to the origins Night Of The Living Dead is the best zombie movie ever. It is funny, scary and has tons to say about consumerism and politics.
- •The Devil's RejectsThis one is not one of the greatest movies ever made but it is so superior to the one that came before that I have to include it. House of 1000 Corpses was a major let down. The sequel abandons the horror genre for a grimy action thriller with a sense of style and attitude.
- •Die Hard 2/Die Hard With A VengeanceThis might be my most controversial choice. I like the origins Die Hard quite a bit but I found the sequel just destroyed it with a mix of big time action and time bomb of a plot. The third film is almost as good. The two sequels that followed wee no where near as good.
- •Evil Dead II/Army Of DarknessThe Evil Dead is a classic horror flick. The sequel turns it on it's head by upping the slap stick humor and the gross out violence. Army of Darkness gets even better by having the her, Ash, go back in time to battle evil spirits during medieval times. The new TV show that is part of the canon rocks as well!
- •Lethal Weapon 2The original Lethal Weapon turned the buddy cop movie on its head with original characters and a fresh take on the genre. Surprisingly the sequel is almost as good! It even adds Joe Pesci. Parts 3 and 4 were enjoyable but we're missing the edginess of the originals.
- •The Road Warrior/Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome/Mad Max Fury RoadThe original Mad Max is really good but The Road Warrior took it to another level of awesome. Beyond Thunderdome is awesome but a bit of a step down. Do not worry though because Fury Road was one of the greatest action flicks of all time.
- •Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol/Mission Impossible Rogue Nation1996's Mission Impossible was a really cool thriller. Part 2 on the other hand was a disaster. Part 3 was decent but relied too much on frantic action. It is rare for part 4 in a series to be the best but that is what happened here. Ghost Protocol is a mesmerizing thriller. Truly breath taking stunts and action. Rogue Nation did it all over again, crushing the notion that franchises get weaker the longer they go on.
- •Spider-Man 22002's Spider-Man was a solid flick that has not really stood the test of time. 2004's Spider-Man 2 is one of the greatest super-hero flicks ever! The action rocks and the story is full of depth and emotion.
- •Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan/Star Trek IV The Voyage Home/Star Trek The Undiscovered CountryStar Trek has had a rocky road in the film series. The Motion Picture is a good movie but it was destroyed the the follow up The Wrath Of Khan. It is everything that makes Star Trek great. Part 3 was ok but then The Voyage Home came and changed the game again! Then there is the horrid Final Frontier but all was right again with the great Undiscovered Country.
- •The Empire Strikes BackStar Wars A New Hope is a classic. Empire is just as a great. Some people consider it better than the original. I'm still partial to A New Hope but Empire did change how sequels are done for all time.
- •Terminator 2 Judgement DayThe Terminator is a classic film from the 80s. Terminator 2 is bigger in scope, visual effects and story. I'm still partial to the original but damn this film is good. The following sequels went from ok to terrible.
- •Toy Story 2/Toy Story 3Toy Story was a ground breaking film and is now a modern classic. The sequels both, astoundingly, keep the same quality.
- •X2 The X-Men United/X-Men Days Of Future PastX-Men was about as good as it could of been on its tiny budget. The sequel exploded into cinemas and is the best X-Men to date. On Days Of Futures Past came close to the same quality.