TAMIL WORDS I LEGITIMATELY THOUGHT WERE ENGLISH TILL I MOVED TO A NATIVELY ANGLOPHONE COUNTRY
I *actually* used these to the utter bafflement of friends and family who thought I was at least fluent in English, despite the fact that my parents chose to give birth to and raise me in India.
- •TooniYou know, a washcloth?
- •ChappalsYou know, my flip-flops (which sounded like such a silly word in comparison! Took me years to start saying "flip-flops")
- •MoolooYou know, that thorn that got planted in my foot while I was gallivanting around the forest with no shoes OBVIOUSLY.
- •PoochiYou know, a bug?
- •VandiYou know, a bullock cart? (traditionally - now also used for cars)
- •KathiMmmm... Something between a hand saw and a very big knife.
- •MumptiMmmm... Something between a pick axe and a shovel.
- •ChelloThis isn't actually Tamil, but one of India's other 44 languages. It means "let's go". On that note,✌🏻️
- •PS: did you know the "English" word 'catamaran' is actually a Tamil word that was absorbed into the English language, just like pakka and bungalow were from Hindi?