Recordings for the Jazz Skeptic.
As requested, @lenadunham! Jazz is vast. There's so much to know about it - historically and musically - and I know very little. These are just some songs I like, and memories of listening to them. Spotify playlist at bottom. Plus other List Appers suggestions!
- •"Central Park West" - John ColtraneWatching my grandparents slow dance.
- •"God Bless The Child"- Billie HolidayCooking dinner after midnight.
- •"Djangology" - Django ReinhardtSunbathing atop a tiny boat with my cousins in southern France. An old radio. Nose freckles.
- •"Moanin'" - Art Blakey (composed by Bobby Timmons)Riding the Chinatown bus from Boston to New York.
- •"West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong (composed by King Oliver)Eating fried oysters with brie. [don't get hung up on blues in the title]
- •"Ramblin'" - Ornette ColemanListening to records with friends last night.
- •"Compared To What" - Roberta Flack (composed by Gene McDaniels)Heat wave in New Haven, Connecticut. Summer of 2002.
- •"A Night In Tunisia" - Charlie Parker (written by Dizzy Gillespie)Walking around crowded Central Park. Earbuds in.
- •"Just For A Thrill" - Lil Hardin ArmstrongCape Cod with my college boyfriend. Salt water air.
- •"Tina" - Duke Ellington10th grade music class with Mrs. Taillacq.
- •"So What" - Miles DavisMy grandparent's basement on Long Island. My grandfather smelling like pipe tobacco. Him telling me to listen to the instruments talk to each other.
- •FULL PLAYLIST
- •Lots of beautiful Fats Waller songs: "Blue Because of You," "Two Sleepy People," "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter," "Until the Real Thing Comes Along"
- •"Knockin' Myself Out" + "Toledo Blues" - Art TatumFrom God Is In The House. Improvised live recordings from the early '40s. Whole album is great, but these tracks are especially good because they include vocals, and some good audience reaction. Sassy.Suggested by @jtotheb
- •Miles Davis, "On the Corner"I've always been told that people find this one accessible because it's more "hip hop" - repetitive, hypnotic, funky
- •"I Fall in Love Too Easily" - Chet Baker