The Best Homemade Playdough Recipe
It's supposed to rain this afternoon in LA (yay! 🌂) So I thought this might be a fun indoor idea for list-appers with kiddos. But it's equally useful if you're the cool uncle or aunt in someone's life. I learned this great recipe while teaching preschool. It's easy, cheap, non toxic and children love to help with it.
- •In a large pot, add...
- •1 cup of salt
- •4 cups of flour
- •4 tablespoons of cream of tartar (mix these dry ingredients, then add...)
- •4 cups of water
- •4 tablespoons of oil (vegetable probably best)
- •Food coloring of your choice!
- •Stir the goopy mixture over medium to high heat on the stove.
- •After about five minutes it will start to come together into a dough consistency. Keep mixing until it's firm all the way through.
- •You're done! Cool and put in container with a lid for storage.
- •FEW ADDITIONAL TIPSThis makes what I would describe as a "healthy amount" of playdough. If you want, you can divide the uncooked mixture into smaller pots and add different dyes to each. Once it's cooked, you can also add glitter! Because why not add glitter?
- •Can this be made gluten free? (This is something I've actually been asked)I don't know. I would think the gluten has something to do with the elasticity, but I'm sure there's a substitute. Google will have the answers.