5 STORIES THAT WILL MAKE YOU SAY “I NEVER KNEW THAT!”
Here at the TED Radio Hour, we love surprising ideas. From Teddy bears to Sputnik, this list is full of astonishing stories that will stay with you.
- 1.The surprising answer about what makes the human brain unique. http://n.pr/1JtSt5SNeuroscientist Suzana Herculano-Houzel turns brains into soup so she can meticulously count the neurons and determine why human brains are unique.
- 2.Where ideas like Sputnik and the Apple store come from. http://n.pr/1mDcY2PWriter Steven Johnson says this is the way great ideas have been born throughout history.
- 3.The dark history behind the Teddy Bear. http://n.pr/1qBUfW9Writer Jon Mooallem tells the story of the Teddy bear, and considers how the tales we tell about wild animals have real consequences for a species' chance of survival — and the natural world at large.
- 4.How we might be able to build a dinosaur from a chicken. http://n.pr/ZPZmJiPaleontologist Jack Horner explains what dinosaurs tell us about our own origins and what we can learn by attempting to revive a piece of the past.
- 5.Why we’re tricked into thinking we’re currently the best version of ourselves. http://n.pr/1LjxcvCPsychologist Dan Gilbert shares research on what he calls the "end of history illusion," where we think the person we are right now is the person we'll be for the rest of time. Hint: that's not the case.