BRAINY TALKS ABOUT YOUR MIND
Let these TED speakers take you on a trip through the human brain. http://n.pr/186gxLp
- •What makes the human brain unique? It might be cooking. http://n.pr/1JtSt5SNeuroscientist Suzana Herculano-Houzel wanted to know how the human brain burns up so much energy while still being much smaller than other mammal’s brains.
- •The quest to map the human brain: http://n.pr/1z5mcH3Nancy Kanwisher studies the brain partly by staring at her own. She's spent countless hours in an fMRI scanner, mapping her own brain to gain insight into what makes us human.
- •How does your brain know what other people are thinking? http://n.pr/1ASD7DWSensing the motives and feelings of others is a natural talent for humans. But how do we do it? Neuroscientist Rebecca Saxe explains how one region in the brain focuses on other people's thoughts.
- •The story of a neuroanatomist who felt her brain shut down during a stroke. http://n.pr/186hqnqWhen neuroanatomist Jill Bolte-Taylor felt her brain shut down during a stroke, she was more fascinated than panicked. Even though she spent eight years recovering, she's grateful for the stroke.
- •How do you explain consciousness? http://n.pr/1CU0YRjPhilosopher David Chalmers asks why humans have a sense of self, a constantly running movie full of sensation and internal chatter. He offers two ideas about the nature of consciousness.