OUR FAVORITE DAME STEPHANIE “STEVE” SHIRLEY QUOTES
Dame Stephanie “Steve” Shirley is quite impressive. In the 1960’s, she created a tech company that was almost entirely women, which grew into a billion dollar firm. She did all this during a time when women in the U.K. couldn't even open a bank account without their husband's permission. Here’s the full segment: http://n.pr/1jCEQWR
- •“You can always tell ambitious women by the shape of our heads: They're flat on top for being patted patronizingly.”
- •“I'd hit that glass ceiling too often and so started to challenge the conventions of the time, even to the extent of changing my name from Stephanie to Steve in my business development letters so as to get through the door before anyone realized that he was a she.”
- •“When I started my company of women, the men sort of said, how interesting - because it only works because it's small...And later, when it was a company valued at over $3 billion and I'd made 70 of the staff into millionaires, they sort of said, well-done, Steve.”
- •"I believe in the beauty of work when we do it properly and in humility."
- •“There's a passion involved in doing a really good, quality piece of work that's better than you've done ever before. This really gives a drive to the individual. It's what makes us human.”