MY NASHVILLE EXPERIENCES, RANKED
I went to Nashville for the first time in my life the weekend of Nov 13-15. This List is more for my own personal documentation of a wonderfully fun weekend.
- 1.Shayna's PlaceThe whole weekend would not have been possible without her hospitality. But her living situation is amazing. She lives in a wonderful downtown high rise with a rooftop pool overlooking the skyline and is within walking distance of nearly everything. Never underestimate friends with good couches. (Shout out to her dog Sophie)
- 2.Bar No. 308Easily my favorite drink in Tennessee. After experiencing *real Nashville* on Broadway, i welcomed a small bar that had a speakeasy decor with Kanye through its speakers. And then there was Ben Folds. Everyone believes that was him. I attempted to thank him for a great show I saw in 1998, but he said "I'm not who you think I am." (In hindsight: I should have let him enjoy his fancy cocktail and let him dance to Gold Digger in peace)
- 3.Rolf & DaughtersThis was the trip's "fancy dinner" in which Shayna and I ordered Cavatelli & Casonsei respectfully and called ourselves C&C Pasta Factory. Kenny had Trout and was sad I didn't make a joke about his order. Also ordered a signature cocktail named "Shake It Off" because, well, you know why. Food, drink, and service was all top notch.
- 4.The Southern Steak & OysterThe mood was a little somber, only because this was our last hour together before Kenny drove back to Atlanta and Shayna took me to the airport. However, after not ordering Chicken & Waffles the day prior, I was able to deliciously correct the mistake.
- 5.Edgefield Sports Bar & GrillWe were here for a very short amount of time. However after my own sonic hell of nonstop country music, to be in a bar that played Chvrches & Purity Ring felt like a warm blanket on a frigid day.
- 6.Wild Beaver SaloonPardon me while I leave a comment that only 3 people will understand: a Kenny sandwich with Stockholm Syndrome and her cousin!
- 7.Sicilian's PizzaThank you for delivering pizza past 3 am.
- 8.BenchmarkThere was a step that I almost tripped over. I turned to Kenny and said "watch your step." Then I tuned to two couples who thought I was too loud and said, "safety first - wrap it up!" (The four looked puzzled at Kenny, who was able to tell them I was making a safe sex joke)
- 9.Nashville International AirportWith the exception of when I breezed through Las Vegas's airport at 2 am - this was the fastest I've ever gotten through security. And it's just one terminal! I'm so used to dealing with the monster that is O'Hare.
- 10.Uber after dinner (Saturday 8 pm)Best idea ever executed by an Uber Driver: have Ferris Bueller's Day Off playing for riders.
- 11.Back Alley DinerServer: how's everybody doing here? Me: [thinking she said "what's"] We are all looking at what Nashville Tinder has to offer. (Didn't eat here, just had a relaxing few beers as we both recovered from Friday night and prepared for Saturday night.)
- 12.417 UnionWasn't our first brunch option. Probably should've just stuck with the first place that gave us a long wait time.
- 13.The Second FiddleBroadway in Nashville felt like Wrigleyville ratcheted up to the intensity of the Vegas strip, but with worse music. I'm glad I saw it, but it's just not my scene. Holy hell, do fans of country music like to sing along to cover bands. One woman didn't like that I wasn't singing along and yelled to me "Why are you in Nashville!?" My response: I love my friends.
- 14.[[final note]] everything on this List was fun and caused all three of us to laugh at one point. There's so much more left to experience in Nashville and I can't wait to return.Thank you Shayna & Kenny. Looks like I now have to host a Chicago weekend (Kenny has never been to Chicago). Let's hope I can top it.