THAT SIX MONTHS IN 1998 WHEN SWING MUSIC WAS *BACK*
When a comment reply to @mallofamanda gets too long...
- •Around this time of year, 18 years ago, I was living away from home for the first time in my life.Marquette University! Milwaukee!! 1998!!!
- •I was still 9 months away from having the ability to talk to women without sweating.But I was already beginning what has led to a long career of acting against my best interest because of a crush.
- •THIS LIST IS ABOUT SWING DANCING AND SWING MUSIC.A woman who was nicknamed "Grim" (I used nicknames to hide the identity of all crushes during my collegiate years) wanted to take a swing dancing course that mutual friends were taking. I abided. It was awful / I was awful.
- •It led to me seeing a band named Big Bad Voodoo Daddy in concert.It was awful.
- •It led to me hearing a song by a band named Cherry Poppin' Daddies nearly every night.If you are morbidly curious - look up "Zoot Suit Riot"
- •Want more band names?Mighty Blue Kings, Squirrel Nut Zippers (who I label as swing, not ska), The Brian Setzer Orchestra...
- •Grim quickly left the picture. Swing receded away from popular culture and back into its niche. My friends got me switched to emo (not the 21st century guy liner sound).Promise Ring, Jets to Brazil, Texas is the Reason.... (I'll give you Jimmy Eat World too, sure)
- •And that's the first time (of many) I did something stupid because I was attracted to a woman.TQ: doing stuff women tell him to do since 1998