WHAT YEAR WAS YOUR FIRST LOLLAPALOOZA?
In an answer that has shocked all: 2016 is my first year going to "Lolla Proper."
- •I really don't like Music Festivals.Too big. Too many people. Pitchfork is really the largest I can handle.
- •Lollapalooza is more for out of town people.If you live in Iowa or Ohio, your favorite bands may not visit your hometown. You need to travel to see them - and Lolla gives you a shot to see all in one place. Luckily, with the exception of a special engagement or a reunion, nearly every act will return to Chicago.
- •(And those return trips will be at a smaller venue, with better sound, for a longer set, and less money)Lolla is horribly expensive.
- •It's also a weather nightmare.Keep me to the hot inside clubs. It seems to always rain every year, creating a mud field that can ruin you. If you're lucky, there won't be (another) mass evacuation.
- •I prefer the aftershows.I've been to many of those. Some years I've gone to an aftershow each night. Last night I saw M83.
- •But then there's Radiohead.The last time their "Chicago stop" was Lolla, I drove 3 hours to see their Indianapolis show. There isn't an option for that this year.
- •I've been very lucky to see them twice.And just like today, I walk in understanding it could be my last chance