MY PHONE ALARMS
I recently took a good look at my labeled iPhone alarms...
- •6:00 AM - L&DWhen I have to be at the hospital by 7:15 for my Labor and Delivery shift
- •6:30 AM - L&D (Snooze)That extra 30 minutes means I have to skip washing my hair and go for dry shampoo and a bun instead. Slap on some concealer and mascara. Drink coffee in the elevator ride down.
- •6:45 AM - Seriously, get in the car!Just in case I double snoozed
- •7:00 AM - Round on your post-op patientLuckily, my resident has already pre-rounded, so I just need to make sure everything's good and enjoy chit chatting with my patient.
- •7:30 AM - Clinic dayMy clinic days start at 8:30. I'll be honest, I always hit snooze.
- •7:40 AM - Clinic day (Snooze)I motivate myself to get out of bed by turning on last night's Daily Show (and previously Colbert Report) on Hulu. The applause helps!
- •12:00 PM - SB AMWASouth Bay American Medical Women's Association board meeting on the first Monday of every month
- •1:00 PM - Call CitibankI can't remember what this was about.
- •2:00 PM - Post-call wake upI'm very generous to myself post-call, but sleeping any later will totally mess me up for the rest of the week.
- •3:00 PM - On call tonightI get my pre-call day off (love my job!) and try to squeeze in a short nap or cook something for the residents before my 16 hour shift starts at 4:30pm.
- •4:00 PM - On call tonight...Get in the car!!It takes me 10 minutes just to gather everything I need for an overnight call at the hospital: toothbrush, make up, eye drops, Tums, dinner, phone charger, paperwork to finish, etc
- •6:00 PM - Thursday P&T dinner meetingPharmacy and Therapeutics committee meeting
- •7:30 PM - Call momShe gets worried if I don't check in when I'm on call
- •2:50 AM - Attending split call night #1If it's a slow night, one of the two attendings on call can lie down from midnight to 3am. And by "lie down" I mean stare at the ceiling and pop up immediately when there's a garbled overhead announcement on L&D
- •5:50 AM - Attending split call night #2As above from 3-6, but I'm even more tired and hate life.