PC CHANGES TO MEDICAL TERMS
Basically, calling someone's body part "incompetent" or "a failure" hurt a lot of feelings.
- •Erectile Dysfunctionformerly "Impotence"
- •Premature Ovarian Insufficiencyformerly "Premature Ovarian Failure" (or early menopause)
- •Cervical Insufficiencyformerly "Cervical Incompetence"
- •Advanced Maternal AgeFormerly "elderly or geriatric" pregnant woman (I'm very okay with this change!)
- •Cardiac ImpairmentInstead of "Heart Failure"
- •Bonus: CustomerInstead of "patient"-- Not quite a PC change, but an interesting one. My attending, who did a lot of international work, would use this sometimes. Partly because he found it amusing and partly to highlight how the patient has evolved into more of a consumer in the dynamics of modern medicine.