THINGS I SAID IN CLINIC TODAY
My standard OB/GYN clinic schedule
- •"Let's get you pregnant!"Preconception counseling for a healthy 28 year old
- •"Let's talk birth control."A 17 year old high school student with a new boyfriend
- •"Yay! You're pregnant!"I removed an endometrial polyp from the uterine cavity of a 35 year old patient a few months ago. She's so happy!
- •"That's normal."A 48 year old with hot flashes and skipped periods: likely perimenopause. Let's talk about how to manage the symptoms.
- •"That's not normal."A 66 year old with vaginal bleeding after menopause: time for a pelvic ultrasound and possible endometrial biopsy.
- •"You need surgery."A 32 year old with a painful ovarian mass
- •"You don't need surgery just yet."A 36 year old with heavy periods: I convinced her to try a Mirena IUD first.
- •"Good news--I removed all of the pre-cancerous tissue!"Reviewing cervical cone biopsy results with a 27 year old
- •"Look it up and then tell me your plan."To the med student who saw a patient with me: with all the information at his fingertips, he had no excuse for presenting a patient without first reading about the work up and treatment. I take training our future doctors seriously! Props to him because he came back in 5 minutes with a good plan.
- •"How's your mood been?"A pregnant 34 year old with Bipolar Disorder
- •"Unfortunately, they're called birth control pills, but we also use them to treat heavy or painful periods."A 16 year old and her mom
- •"How's Sophia doing?"A 26 year old who recently delivered an adorable baby girl
- •"Who is 'she'??"The medical assistant came into my office to tell me "she" doesn't want a pelvic exam. I had two patients waiting to be seen and I had no idea which one she was talking about. They're ALL female in this clinic!!
- •"OK to double book me."To the discharge nurse making a follow up appointment for a patient who needs close follow up