YES, THATS A REAL DIAGNOSIS!
- •Restless Genital SyndromeA neurological disorder resulting in unwanted and bothersome genital sensations (tingling, throbbing, etc). Not fun at all.
- •Fetus In FetuA very rare condition where the fetus (male or female) has a tumor in the abdomen with fetal parts (vertebral column, organs, etc). May be a variant of monozygotic twinning or a highly differentiated teratoma. I actually did an informal ultrasound scan of a patient with fetus in fetu in residency. Crazy! (see 2008 case report in the Journal of Ultrasound Medicine)
- •Uterine didelphys (2 vaginas, cervices, and uteruses/uteri)An anatomical abnormality caused by the failure of Müllerian duct fusion in the embryo.
- •Abdominal ectopic pregnancyAn ectopic pregnancy is an abnormal pregnancy outside the uterus, which is dangerous because it can lead to hemorrhage. Ectopics are often found in the fallopian tube or ovary. Less often, they're somewhere else in the abdominal cavity. In residency, one of my patients had a 19 week fetus in her abdomen next to the bowel and major blood vessels 😳 Yikes! (Image from the case report in the New England Journal of Medicine)
- •Whoops. Meant to suggest. Cotard disorder. The delusional belief that you are dead.Suggested by @ouizoid
- •Alice in Wonderland SyndromeA variant of migraine where reality is distorted visually, with large things appearing small and vice versa, colors switching, and hallucinations like Alice in Wonderland. It's crazy to see people in the midst of it!Suggested by @sally
- •Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis (when your ovaries literally make you go crazy) 😖Young women present with psychosis or other neurological symptoms and are found to have an ovarian teratoma with brain tissue. Their immune system makes antibodies to this "foreign" brain tissue which then attack their own brain! Once the tumor is removed, they usually recover.Suggested by @ohsteph