MOVIES I WOULD LET MY HYPOTHETICAL FEMINIST DAUGHTER WATCH
Or hypothetical feminist son.
- •Spirited AwayChihiro is crazy shrill, but this is a great adventure of a little girl in a world filled with monsters. And pig parents.
- •Alice in WonderlandThe only real curious thing about this movie is how Disney let it through without a prince and Alice having a D cup.
- •Kiki's Delivery ServiceA young witch flys around on her broom working as a delivery girl with her ride-or-die cat. It's a calm plot but a whole lot of fun.
- •A League of Their OwnI don't think I have to say anything about this one.
- •CoralineImagination and adventure collide in this scary tale of a girl who discovers a world that mirrors her life on the other side of a wall. Except for all the button eyes.
- •Pippi LongstockingI wanted to be Pippi so bad! Independent and strong as hell. Like, literally stronger than a grown man.
- •FrozenYes, there is a love interest, but it's really a story of sisters and I cry every time.
- •MatildaA little girl overcomes her horrible circumstances using just her intelligence! Er...and telekinetic powers.
- •Fly Away HomeA girl raises ducks to help cope with moving in with her dad. At least that's how I remember it. Also: Anna Paquin!
- •Harry Potter seriesDoes not pass the Bechdel test, but Hermoine alone can transcend that.
- •The Philadelphia StoryYes, it still centers around a woman getting married, but Tracy Lord is not defined by any man.
- •BraveA young girl frees herself from oppressive circumstances and there's not a love interest in sight.
- •PonyoThe story of the Little Mermaid if she weren't hyper sexualized.
- •Princess MononokePretty much anything by Miyazaki, OK?
- •Kill BillMaybe not appropriate for a small child, but Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu facing off in a sword fight? So badass.
- •Mary PoppinsNot only is this a story of a woman and a girl going on adventures, there's women's suffrage too!