11 LIFE LESSONS TAYLOR SWIFT TAUGHT US ON '1989'
In honor of the album's first birthday, we've compiled 11 rules to live by, courtesy of everyone's favorite #Squad leader, Taylor herself. http://tnvge.co/lrqoD7p
- 1.The city of your dreams has been waiting for you.Whether that's New York or Los Angeles or London, or anywhere else in the world is up to you. Only you can follow your dreams to a place where "everybody here wanted something more / searching for a sound we hadn't heard before." If you're like Taylor, you get to make your stamp on the city with a $20 million apartment, but if you're holed up in a tiny walk-up with your three best friends, you can make that work, too.
- 2.Red lips are classic and will never go out of style.Especially when paired with good-girl faces and short little skirts. (And boys with James Dean daydream looks in their eyes love them.)
- 3.Love who you want to love.We hope you already knew this, but just in case you want to sing along as you proclaim this proudly: "You can want who you want / boys and boys and girls and girls."
- 4.All you have to do is stay.Taylor told Ryan Adams that the chorus came to her in a dream about her ex, but the line is a nice reminder that sometimes the only way to make things work is to simply tough them out.
- 5.When the haters start to bug you, just shake them off.Dance on your own and make the moves up as you go, but never forget what Kevin Gnapoor said — don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang. You'll have much more fun doing whatever you wanted to, anyway.
- 6.Love usually ends one of two ways."So it's gonna be forever / or it's gonna go down in flames." Just make sure the high was worth the pain.
- 7."Band-aids don't fix bullet holes."Taylor knows that... all too well. (Sorry.)
- 8.Even your wildest dreams can end up as, uh, nightmares.The "Wildest Dreams" music video was a full-on dramatic spectacle, complete with heartbreak courtesy of Scott Eastwood. But the song is still gorgeous and sweet, and proof that no matter how much a relationship might sour, you still have the memories to last forever.
- 9."Just because you're clean doesn't mean you don't miss it."This could go for anything — Taylor's talking specifically about washing herself clean from a breakup, but this is great to remember no matter what bad habit you're trying to kick.
- 10.If you love something, let it go.When Taylor sings about the highs and lows of a relationship with lyrics like, "This love is good, this love is bad / this love is alive back from the dead, oh", you know it was intense. But she also admits that "These hands had to let it go free / and this love came back to me," which is proof that it was worth the heartbreak and roller coaster ride.
- 11.Boys only want love if it's torture.Don't say Taylor didn't warn ya. (The verdict is, of course, out on this, but it makes for a super catchy lyric, and a great quote to offer a friend who doesn't understand why that moron isn't into her.)