THE EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER OF GETTING RE-SORTED ON POTTERMORE
With the relaunch of the Pottermore site, you have the option of getting re-sorted into your Hogwarts house or bypassing the sorting ritual and claiming your previous house outright. I don't know why, but the masochist in me chose the former fully expecting to get sorted into my previous house yet curious at the prospect of something different...
- 1.Make your choice...Like I said, they make you choose whether or not to be re-sorted but if you want to claim your original house, you have to remember your OG password and all of that and I did not. Also, it's fun to go through the process and I was drawn in...
- 2.Answer the questions...So you go through all of the super accurate Myers/Briggs style questions that will determine your fate. Of course you take this process super seriously and answer as honestly as possible (you're only lying to/kidding yourself if you try to skew the results)
- 3.Await your results...Another reason I got re-sorted is because my friends had done it and had landed the same houses as before so the pressure was on to follow suit. I did not take into account that I was early to the HP game and joined Pottermore the minute it went live however many years ago but my friends are newbs and it hasn't been years since their last sorting. I've done a lot of growing as a person in those years in fundamental ways that would cause ones values to shift.
- 4.Absorb the shock...As a loud and proud Hufflepuff of many years, I could not begin to express my shock at being sorted into Gryffindor. I know, I know, at least it wasn't Slytherin (sorry green and greys out there) but I have grown to love my Hufflepuff fam and felt like I had just been told I was adopted.
- 5.Break the news...I went the route of telling my friends and (former) fellow badgers immediately. I couldn't live a lie and had to share my shock and sadness. They were supportive of course (hello, they are Hufflepuff) but I could tell that there was already a wall forming between us.
- 6.Process your feelings...I am currently still in this phase. I have cycled through a myriad of emotions and questions (can I still wear my Hufflepuff socks? Should I only rep Gryffindor colors now?) and suspect that I will not reach complete acceptance for some time. I do know that Pottermore is law and there is no arguing that I have been miss-sorted (looking back I actually think that I am way more Gryffindor than Hufflepuff as opposed to when I was first sorted) but I will always be a Hufflepuff at heart.