Cameron Esposito's 10 Tips for Men Starting Out in Stand-up
A tongue-in-cheek list for male comics struggling to make it "in the biz." From her weekly column with The A.V. Club, Who In The World Is Cameron Esposito? - Read more at http://avc.lu/1lDso3g
- •You are going to have to follow a comic who just used the mic as a vag. DO NOT let this throw you off. Just tell your jokes right into the vag!
- •If you are on a show with another male comic, you guys are in competition with one another! REMEMBER: One of you will have to be the hot one. Decide which ahead of time and tell the host. There will almost never be a third, so get really good at face-offs.
- •Gay guys: The host will probably joke about having sex with you. This gives the audience the comfort to still find you attractive despite your "handicap."
- •Straight guys: You are gonna be approached a lot by the audience and by other comics. Try to seem like you sort of hate it AND kind of like it, like be accessible AND aloof, but DO NOT SLEEP AROUND.
- •You have tokenism - which is great. That means you won't have to work as hard.
- •You are going to hear a lot of rapist jokes THEY AREN'T ABOUT YOU.
- •Dress to show off your penis. Or, if you don't have the best penis, try to go for like a dick next door thing. Wear a hoodie on your penis, you know?
- •Dudes: Stick with it! The more of you there are the more you'll seem REAL. It really is a numbers game.
- •Write from a chick's perspective but add your spin on it. The male perspective is an uncharted sea. Stay near the shoreline!
- •DO NOT do all-male shows! If you want to make it as a comic, you should be able to play the most female rooms out there. You should be able to play a womb, okay? A WOMB!