The Best Movie Scenes of the Year
Below are a few staff picks to kick things off, but feel free to add your favorites! (Quick note: As much as we LOVE Mad Max: Fury Road, simply saying "The whole movie!" won't cut it - we want specific scenes)
- •Big Dick Richie's gas station striptease in Magic Mike XXLSet to the tune of Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way."
- •The single-take boxing match in CreedThe seriously engrossing scene puts the audience right in the ring.
- •Nathan's eerie/hilarious boogie in Ex MachinaOscar Isaac is a national treasure.
- •The final scene of PhoenixThe German noir wraps things up with a stunning scene: A few knowing glances exchanged while Nina Hoss' Nelly sings "Speak Low."
- •Mimi Clare's House in Mistress AmericaNoah Baumbauch and Greta Gerwig's script flourishes in this sequence into a screwball symphony that is some of the funniest material of the past few years.Suggested by @zappullaj
- •Agu struggling to carry an injured Strika through the jungle in 'Beasts of No Nation'How emotionally poignant and humanizing to watch a child soldier carry his dying friend on his back...Suggested by @lstblkgrl
- •When the soldiers descend into the sunset in SicarioThis movie was aesthetically pleasing, but this shot especially. Very thematic as well. Not to mention the entire movie was intense.Suggested by @wanda
- •Steve Wozniak confronting Steve Jobs about Jobs' continued disrespectWherein Woz dismantles the Jobs mythos. It's uninterrupted, unadulterated Sorkinian glorySuggested by @TheSteve
- •When Bing Bong leaves himself behind in Inside Out😭😭😭Suggested by @goertli
- •Jack's very first view of the worldThe ambivalent expression of both wonder and fear perfectly mirrors how Jack will feel everyday for many years to come following his heroic escape from captivity. A flawless performance not from a great child actor but from a great actor period.Suggested by @paulus
- •Turkish grandmother knocks out the electricity to protect Lale and her sisters in MustangSuggested by @charlottery