THE GATTI LIST
This list reminds us of the five fights that most inculcated the Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry into the lore of the sport.
- •January 14, 1979. Wilfred Benitez decisions Carlos Palomino.Title fights were still fifteen rounds at the time. Victory for Puerto Rico.
- •August 21, 1981. Salvador Sanchez knocked out Wilfredo Gomez in the eighth.The Mexican Sanchez was the James Dean of boxing, dead in a car crash less than a year later, career record 44-1-1.
- •December 3, 1982. Wilfredo Gomez knocked out Lupe Pintor in the fourteenth.Gomez gets a form of revenge for his loss to Sanchez.
- •November 21, 1987. Julio Cesar Chavez knocked out Edwin Rosario in the eleventh.Rosario was a classy puncher, but Chavez was unbeatable at that time.
- •July 26, 2008. Antonio Margarito over Miguel Cotto by 11th round knockout.Circumstantial evidence later made clear this was almost certainly a criminal beat down with loaded gloves. It leaves all of Puerto Rico with a lingering grudge, even though Cotto later got and easily won the rematch.