My 13 Favorite Tabletop Games of All Time
In no particular order.
- •Knightmare ChessGreatest of the chess variants.
- •PandemicSo many different ways to play.
- •Pandemic LegacyA variant of Pandemic that you alter with stickers and markers. You play through a year of outbreaks and contagions that permanently wipe out cities and kill off characters.
- •Marvel Super Hero Adventure GameThe SAGA system edition was one of the best supers RPG because it FELT like a comic book. Drama and awe trumped realism and simulation.
- •FlatpackThis is a role playing game that uses on puzzles and mini games to provide challenges to the players. You can integrate crossword puzzles, chess set ups, or even full board games.
- •Risk LegacyAfter my mother beat my brother and I into submission, she named the planet "Just Margie".
- •Lunch Money/Beer MoneyThere was a time when we played this game every other day for a month.
- •HeroscapeBest. Wargame. Ever.
- •CyberpunkPlayed this RPG a lot as a kid. The system doesn't hold up anymore (too crunchy) but the setting can easily be ported to Fate, Risus, Cortex, or Flatlack.
- •Mage KnightI don't ever like fantasy but I brought and played a lot of Mage Knight. Mostly played Black Powder Rebels and Elemental League, with lots of mounted units. And I almost always used my Dwarven Steam Behemoth when playing big games. However, if I'd know Mech Warrior was going to be a thing, I'd have waited for that instead.
- •The Star Wars Roleplaying Game (West End Games)The original is still the best. Can easily be updated with the OpenD6 system.
- •GammaraudersKaiju wargaming.
- •Mind's Eye TheatreI LARPed a lot as a kid. This is still a good system as a tabletop RPG.