4 Fast Facts About Colonial New Jersey
- •New Jersey was home to one of the first Native American reservation, which was for the Lenni-Lenape tribe in 1758. The tribe later sold the land back to government in 1801.
- •The signers of the Declaration of Independence for New Jersey included 2 attorneys, Abraham Clark and Richard Stockton, a clergyman named John Witherspoon, John Hart, a businessman, and, a writer/lawyer/judge Francis Hopkinson.
- •Was called New Netherlands from 1609 to 1664, when it was held by the Dutch.
- •It was the 3rd state to ratify the Constitution and the 1st to sign the Bill of Rights.
- •Bonus FactWilliam Parker Foulke found the first complete dinosaur skeleton from North America, the Hadrosaurus, in Haddonfield New Jersey.
- •My sources were: www.state.nj.us/nj/about/history/short_history.html www.history.com/topics/us-states/new-jersey www.dar.org/archives/signers-declaration-independence