Unexpected things I saw in China
I recently traveled to Shanghai and Suzhou, China, and came across some unexpected things.
- •1. Chicken feet, octopus on a stick, bullfrog, and stinky tofu stands are as common as hotdog stands in the U.S.
- •2. More people spoke English than I expected, even in the smaller cities.
- •3. Heavy smog all the time. During a one week stay I only saw the sun once.
- •4. Electric scooters on the sidewalks that almost run you over. Pedestrians do not have the right away in the crosswalks.
- •5. Beautiful thousand-year-old gardens and temples next to modern day skyscrapers.