Top 5 Favorite Books Of All Time
The first time I travelled the globe, it was from behind a veil of pages. Through fiction, my mind was opened to worlds undreamt and without number. These five are my favorite.
- 1.DuneThis book is a masterclass in world building. Dune proves authors don't have to skimp on narrative when creating complex worlds, cultures, or backstory - even if some of those details never see the light of day.
- 2.The Count of Monte CristoOne of my favorite books of all time, and far and away the best work of Dumas! Most fiction supposes that a man betrayed can become a hero or a villain; Monte Cristo proves that sometimes they're both.
- 3.Dandelion WineThe only book that captures the magic and rich inner worlds of childhood, made all the better because it does so with such beautiful prose.
- 4.The HobbitProof that fantasy doesn't have to be dark or impenetrable to be great. A story well told should hint at a larger world without ever having to weigh the reader down with the unnecessary. Something Tolkien forgot in later works.
- 5.The TalismanThe ultimate road book. I spent most of 2001-2003 traveling and this was my companion. I loved this book so much I refused to read the last chapter until 2008 because I didn't want it to end. Going as far as reading the sequel before reading those last few pages. Also, Wolf, here and now...