Fifa Ballon D'or 2015
Today is the FIFA BALLON D'OR 2015, and USWNT's Carli Lloyd and Coach Jill Ellis are up for awards! What is the Ballon D'Or? Let us tell you...
- •What is it?The FIFA Ballon d'Or ("Golden Ball") is an annual association football award given by FIFA to the male player considered to have performed the best in the previous calendar year. It is awarded based on the votes from national team coaches and captains, as well as journalists from around the world.
- •So if the Ballon D'Or is just for the men, what are Carli Lloyd and Jill Ellis up for?Carli is up for FIFA Women's World Player of the Year, and Jill is up for the FIFA World Coach of the Year for Women's Football
- •Why were Carli and Jill nominated?Carli- Did you SEE her in the World Cup?! Watch- http://ussoc.cr/1PNcJkT Jill- Led USA to their 3rd FIFA Women’s World Cup title at Canada 2015. Ellis navigated USA through a very difficult Group D at Canada 2015 with 2 wins vs Australia & Nigeria, along with a scoreless draw against Sweden. After dispatching Colombia in the Round of 16, China PR in the quarter-finals & Germany in the semi-finals, Ellis oversaw the stunning 5-2 victory over Japan in the Final!
- •When and where does this take place?Today (Jan. 11) at 12:30 pm ET. The awards ceremony takes place in Zurich.
- •Can we watch?Of course! The awards ceremony is streamed live on FIFA.com- http://www.fifa.com/ballon-dor/index.html
- •Did you know that if you hashtag Carli Lloyd on Twitter she gets her own hashflag?#CarliLloyd
- •Did you know? The pics of the nominees are enshrined in the soon to be opened FIFA Museum.
- •Good luck!
- •UPDATE!!! Jill Ellis just won Women's World Coach of the Year!
- •UPDATE!!! Carli Lloyd wins Women's World Player of the Year!!!